Friday, April 17, 2009
Pygmy Rattlesnake Bites Man At Wal-Mart , Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA
PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. -- A man is recovering after he was bitten by a snake inside a garden center at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.
"An individual was at one of the local garden centers and was buying plants and in doing so, picked up a plant and got bitten by this pygmy rattlesnake," paramedic Capt. Ernie Jillson said.
The 42-year-old man was taken to the hospital on Sunday for treatment, where he r More..eceived antivenin for the pygmy rattler bite, according to authorities. His name has not been released.
Jillson said the snake bit the man on the right hand. He said the team was contacted about the bite and responded.
Pygmy rattlers are one of six venomous snakes in Florida.
Officials said bites from pygmy rattlers are painful but rarely fatal.